Tuesday, December 4, 2012

rapid language acquisition

Here is an incredible story I've read about a man determined to learn the German language fluently in three months: http://www.fluentin3months.com/first-week-no-english/

 I have to admit that my fluency is not up to his speed, but he has some radical ideas that would have been helpful to heed. The key really is no English.. which has proven itself exceptionally difficult in a tourist spot such as Konstanz.. Well, that is only half-true. Most of the English I speak is with other foreign exchange students, as everyone knows English (which will certainly make you feel bad about yourself at first, but prove to be convenient!)

The best part is that Seeseit manages to stick a few German students in your housing arrangement (well, at least for Europahaus). It is EXTREMELY intimidating to talk to them in German at first (well, if you have very little prior knowledge of German like me, that is), but in time you will learn to trust them and they you, and soon you will find some sort of garbled Dinglish falling out of your mouth. And maybe someday they will understand you :)

I am lucky to have a guy named Peter as my German roommate. He is the kindest, most patient person I've met here, with a twinge of goofiness that allows me to be at ease when stumbling through my words. He also speaks less English than many of the other Germans here, so it is even more convenient to go forward in German acquisition. He never gets impatient with me, though I have no idea how because I often get impatient with myself. The worst that comes from these transactions is a smile from him and a "Was?" as we both stutter to make ourselves understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment