Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Winter in Konstanz

 This year brings a particularly good batch of snow to Southern Germany. Locals are surprised, albeit not shocked, by the continuous out-pour of  fluffy white flakes from the heavens. Being from the Northeast, I am prepared. I have found a new place in my heart for winter- one that has roots in childhood joy, and has been over-looked by years of same old, same old Massachusetts winter, schlepping across the poorly paved campus with my only intent focused on staying warm and not slipping. I forgot how to love the snow.

I am sure that Germany is beautiful in summer- it was quite gorgeous here when I first arrived at the beginning of September, and swimming in the Bodensee is nothing to forget. But, to those who say I came to Konstanz at the wrong time of year, I beg to differ. Konstanz in winter is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Germany was created for winter. Everywhere I go, it looks like a scene painted by Thomas Kinkade.

Walking down the street on the first winter's snow, a group of children smile and shyly toss snowballs in our direction. Challenge accepted. Needless to say we let them win, but it wasn't until after everyone was covered and laughing that we continued on down the road. A spontaneous moment of joy where no words were exchanged, just the joy of a shared moment.

The key to enjoyment, however, has been layers. I wear about three layers of clothing on the average day, two for pants. Long underwear can be purchased cheaply at Aldi or Pennymarkt, and they are lifesavers... or at least joy savers. I also switched from a nice looking pair of fall fashion boots, to some ugly rubber boots lined with fleece (thanks mom!). I haven't been cold since. Winter here is like at home, but more intense. Although, this is supposedly untypically Konstanz, as I assume the lake affords the place more rain than snow. This year you couldn't tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment