Sunday, November 4, 2012

Tonight, my American/German roommate and I threw the Halloween party to end Halloweed parties. It wasn't our idea- so many people wanted the "American" Halloween experience, we decided why not?

It was a beautiful sight to see. The Russian girls dressed as men and zombies, the Irish and Englishmen dressed as giant babies, the Spanish girls came as the Spice Girls, and my Australian friend Angus came as a Halloween Mad Lib and made us fill in the story. The best costume was an American guy, Stephen, who came as a beating heart. He wrapped himself in red lights for the arteries, and attached red glowing ventricles. It was fantastic.

It was so rewarding to have friends talk about how lovely their first Halloween was. I can't imagine not having Halloween, and I'm glad we could make it special for others.

We made apple cider, pizza, and lots of American candy. A strobe light materialized at some point in the night, and really added effect to our cobwebbed staircase and fake plastic spiders. We have a blacklight in our kitchen, so ghosts, witches, and axmen were well lit throughout the night.

I'm really looking forward to other cultural celebrations throughout my time here. For now, I'm just really glad we adopted (stole) Halloween from the ancient Celts.

No comments:

Post a Comment